Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Blogging in my Classroom

Blogging is a big world and I would feel more comfortable "getting wet" gradually. Obviously, by taking a class, we have an ideal venue for first time bloggers. It's a controlled situation where we are all becoming acquainted with the process together. This is an excellent introduction for me, at least.

I currently teach middle school Visual Arts. At school, I have given some thought to starting the blogging process with my after school clubs which involve photography and Anime. It is common knowledge that the arts can not exist in a bubble, they are by nature, created to be seen by others. A display of quality art work to encourage critiques from others would be one important rationale for blogging in my subject area, but also, I think it is imperative for an artist to clarify, in words, what he is expressing visually; and what, if anything, was learned in the creation. It would be interactive in the sense that the artist could express the personal meaning of the artwork, and their peers could respond with constructive critiques.

If anyone is interested in watching the construction of a blog site and giving input, the URL is http://schoolwires.henry.k12.ga.us/lm/site/default.asp; click on Teachers in the upper tabs, then, select Kimberly Phillips. A slide show of student work is displayed at the bottom of the website, and on the left-hand side there should be an option to visit our blog site which is in test mode to date and only says "Yada Yada". I will be changing the message soon, so let me know what you think. Also, you are welcome to post to my students, adolescents need a lot of encouragement. Thanks in advance for your insights.

4 comments:

  1. Kim,
    I think you and Susan will have a lot to talk about! She was struggling to think of some ideas.

    The blog site for your students has a great start. Did you post the student work? It is amazing! If I post in the blog area, are your students checking the site to see if any comments are there? I will be more than happy to leave them some feedback. Their artwork is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, your students' artwork are fantastic! It's great that you're able to incorporate their artwork into your class website. That's a good idea for our art teacher. What software do you use to be able to showcase the student work on your class website? Do you do any 3-D projects with your students? Do you take pictures of your 3-D projects and load them onto your website too? I think it's a good idea that you have a link to your class blog. I should do that too. Good luck with your class blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just posted a similar suggestion to Susan's blog not even knowing if it was possible since I am new to all of this. Now reading your post, I guess it was a decent idea. It sounds like you have this blogging in the classroom already underway and it sounds great. I look forward to reading and learning more for you since you are actually doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diana, Jenelle, and Vicki,

    Our school district has given us the capability to run our own websites through the school site. Last year I photographed half of the student work that qualified for the art show, and that is what you are viewing at the bottom of my Web page.

    I have done 3D with the kids this year and I plan to photograph them this week. I am a 2D artist, so I do much more of that than 3D, that old comfort level thing.

    Once the blog is up and running, the students will be checking for responses, I hope, so visit in a week or two and post away. I know the kids will appreciate it.

    Thanks for your input,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete