Saturday, June 6, 2009

My First Voicethread

My VoiceThread...http://voicethread.com/share/530268/

As I was brainstorming about the different ways that I could use VoiceThread in my classroom and the on-line learning environment, the ideas that popped into my head were numerous. I decided to settle on the most basic place to begin, instructional VoiceThreads. Demonstration and instruction are difficult in the art room because it is problematic for students to follow explanations of visual elements from a distance. I find that if I do limited group instruction and try to get to individuals and small groups for relaying detailed directions and techniques, it works much better. Yet, that small group experience exists only for that moment, and often, I need to repeat myself for absent students and the others who gave me limited attention. If I developed an archive of instructional videos and VoiceThreads, to upload onto my on-line classroom, I could use them to assist students that need repetition and get absent students caught up with the instructional material they missed. Then, I could use more of my time facilitating students in the process of creating and developing their artwork. Although the VoiceThread presentations wouldn't be as personal or interactive, I believe they would be better than whole group presentations, and definately better than a rushed reiteration of missed instructional content. I just need to figure out how to use the doodle tool because that would be invaluable for me. The school has provided me with a writing tablet that works beautifully in isolation, but I haven't figured out how to use the doodle in tandem with the spoken commentary on VoiceThread. Let me know if you all have some advise.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,

    What a great study reference for your students! You've created something they can refer back to as a means of helping them complete an assignment. Your approach has sparked some of my own ideas, for instance a similar Voice thread about how to use a textbook and its various parts. As noted in this week's video resources, this strategy offers students a chance to review and ask questions outside of the classroom, making the most of everyone's time! Well done.

    Monica

    Reference

    Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2008). Program Ten. Spotlight on Technology: Voice Thread. [Motion Picture]. Bridging Learning Theory, Instruction, and Technology. Baltimore: Author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica,

    Thanks...I think the pictures used as examples are beautiful, but the commentator is a bit clumsy in her articulation. I'm going to have to work on that one.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete